Fulbright Week: February 16-18
Appalachian State University is hosting Fulbright Week 2021, an annual event organized and supported by multiple partners across campus, including administrative offices and faculty. A plethora of virtual events have been planned to help share the many opportunities available to you through Fulbright, answer questions you have about the program, and help you prepare a strong Fulbright application.
The week is sponsored by the Office of International Education and Development, the Office of Research, and Nationally Competitive Scholarships.
We look forward to seeing you many times during this week!
Day 1 (Tuesday, February 16)
- 9:30-10:15 am: Fulbright Welcome Plenary, Zoom registration link
- Remarks by Interim Provost Heather Norris, Vice Provost for Research Dr. Ece Karatan, Associate Vice Chancellor International Education and Development Dr. Jesse Lutabingwa
- Mark Powell, Associate Professor, Department of English, discusses his Fulbright experience in Romania, which was impacted by COVID.
- 10:30-11:30 am: How Appalachian Supports your Fulbright, Zoom registration link
- This session will include representatives from Academic Affairs, the Office of Research, Sponsored Programs, Special Funds, and Appalachian's Fulbright Representatives to discuss campus support through the Fulbright process.
- 2:00-3:00 pm: Fulbright Scholar Opportunities -- An overview- This workshop is open to all North Carolina Universities and Colleges. Registration for Zoom (through IIE)
- Facilitated by Kimberly Williams,Outreach & Recruitment Officer, Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program, Institute of International Education.
Day 2 (Wednesday, February 17)
- 11:00 am- 12:00 pm: Getting started: Developing the Idea, Identifying a Location, Making the Right Connections, Zoom registration link
- Facilitated by Appalachian's Fulbright Representatives: Dr. Suzanna L. Brauer, Professor, Department of Biology and Dr. Paul Wallace, Professor of Instructional Technology, Department of Leadership and Educational Studies.
- 2:00-3:00 pm: Fulbright Special Programs -- Specialist, Global, Flex, IEA, Zoom registration link
- Facilitated by Dr. Suzi Mills, Music Education Program Director, Hayes School of Music and Dr. Anatoli Ignatov, Assistant Professor, Department:Sustainable Development.
Day 3 (Thursday, February 18)
- 10 am-12 pm: Individual Fulbright Consultations with Kimberly Williams, Outreach & Recruitment Officer, Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program, Institute of International Education.
- Appointment is required. Register here.
- 15 minutes per appointment.
- 2:00-3:00 pm: Let’s Start Writing -- practical writing sessions, Zoom registration link
- Facilitated by Katie Howard and Karen Fletcher, Office of Research
- 4:00-5:00 pm: Closing Ceremony and Keynote- Zoom registration link
- Keynote by Dr. Shelby Lewis, President and CEO, Lewis Foundation