How to apply
If you plan to use any form of financial aid (loans, grants, scholarships) to participate in an Appalachian Overseas Education Program (AOEP), we strongly recommend that you take the following steps before applying to the program:
- Complete your FAFSA for the academic year in which the program is offered. Please be mindful of Financial Aid deadlines!
- Visit the Office of Financial Aid's website at http://financialaid.appstate.edu/study-abroad. Read all the information carefully and print the Study Abroad Agreement Form for the appropriate term that you are requesting an increase in financial aid due to studying abroad.
- Go to the Office of Financial Aid on the second floor of the JET Building to discuss your financial aid eligibility with Kim Overcash or another financial aid counselor PRIOR to applying to the program.
How to apply for an Appalachian Overseas Education Program (AOEP)
- Complete and submit the AOEP online application form specific to your program (see directions below).
- Click on the "Online Student Application Form" link to open the ASU Banner portal.
- Click on "System Access"
- Click on "Banner Self-Service"
- Click on the "Student" Tab
- Click on "Faculty-Led Study Abroad Application Packet"
Note: You will NOT be officially enrolled in the program until you bring a non-refundable deposit payment to OIED. For more information about the deposit payment process, please see Step 2 below.
- Submit a non-refundable deposit payment to OIED.
- Deposit payments are non-refundable unless a program is cancelled due to low enrollment. Deposits can be paid in the form of check, cashier's check, or cash.
- Checks are to be made payable to Appalachian State University. Please write the program's country(ies) of destination, the academic deparment offering the program, and your student Banner ID number on the memo line of the check (e.g. Spain CIS ID 900 XXX XXX).
- Walk to the Office of International Education and Development (OIED) located on the 3rd floor of the Plemmons Student Union, Suite 321, and submit your deposit payment to Dawn Arnold or Nathalie Turner.
AOEP Cancellation Policy
If you cancel your participation in the program due to your withdrawal from the university or any other reason(s), you still remain obligated to pay any payment(s) scheduled to be paid prior to and/or on the official date of your official cancellation notice. The initial deposit is non-refundable regardless of the official date of your cancellation. You will not be responsible for scheduled payments that follow the official date of your cancellation.
To officially and effectively cancel your program participation due to your withdrawal from the university or any other reason(s), you must inform the faculty program leader(s) via email, with copy to Meg Kennedy email@example.com and Nathalie Turner firstname.lastname@example.org at OIED. Failure to abide by the schedule of payments (making late payments or no payments) does not constitute an official cancellation on your part, and you will responsible for making all payments scheduled prior to the date of your written cancellation notice, including payments owed ON the date of your written cancellation. Students who have not paid in full the program cost, tuition, and any other pending charges on their Appalachian State University student account by the final payment deadline may be withdrawn from the program while (1) still owing the full program cost, (2) not being entitled to any refunds, and (3) losing any applicable financial aid eligibility status. Because a withdrawal for any reason may put you at risk of financial loss, you may wish to consider purchasing trip cancellation insurance. The UNC system-wide insurance provider, HTH, offers trip cancellation insurance (Trip Protector Plan). For more information about HTH benefits and enrollment conditions, please consult their website: http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com.
You are strongly encouraged to share this information and the information contained in the AOEP Online Student Application Form with your family and loved ones (including the AOEP Student Handbook ), before submitting your application.
You are strongly encouraged to share the information contained in the AOEP Online Student Application Form with your family and loved ones (including the AOEP Student Handbook ), before submitting your application.
Deadline to submit applications
Programs are open until full. If a program is full, the AOEP Online Student Application Form for that program will be deactivated and you will no longer be able to apply. All spring and summer 2013 programs must recruit students before Friday March 9, 2013 at the latest.
Appalachian reserves the right to cancel or alter the program format or to change costs in case of conditions beyond the university's control.