How to apply
If you plan to use any form of financial aid (loans, grants, scholarships) to participate in an Appalachian Overseas Education Program (AOEP), we strongly recommend that you take the following steps before applying to the program:
- Complete your FAFSA for the academic year in which the program is offered. Please be mindful of Financial Aid deadlines!
- Visit the Office of Financial Aid's website at http://financialaid.appstate.edu/study-abroad. Read all the information carefully and print the Study Abroad Agreement Form for the appropriate term that you are requesting an increase in financial aid due to studying abroad.
- Go to the Office of Financial Aid on the second floor of the JET Building to discuss your financial aid eligibility with Kim Overcash or another financial aid counselor PRIOR to applying to the program.
How to apply for an Appalachian Overseas Education Program (AOEP)
- Complete and submit the AOEP online application form specific to your program(see directions below).
- Click on the "Online Student Application Form" link to open the ASU Banner portal.
- Click on "System Access"
- Click on "Banner Self-Service" (use your Banner username and password)
- Click on the "Student" Tab
- Click on "Faculty-Led Study Abroad Application Packet"
Note: You will NOT be officially enrolled in the program until you bring a non-refundable deposit payment AND your printed and signed application packet to OIED. For more information about the deposit payment process, please see Step 2 below.
- Submit a non-refundable deposit payment AND a hard copy of your complete and signed application packet to OIED (the printed application packet should have 41 pages).
- Deposit payments are non-refundable unless a program is cancelled due to low enrollment. Deposits can be paid in the form of check, cashier's check, or cash.
- Checks are to be made payable to Appalachian State University. Please write the program's country(ies) of destination, the academic deparment offering the program, and your student Banner ID number on the memo line of the check (e.g. Spain CIS ID 900 XXX XXX).
- Walk to the Office of International Education and Development (OIED) located on the 3rd floor of the Plemmons Student Union, Suite 321, and submit your deposit payment and printed/signed application packet to Dawn Arnold or Nathalie Turner.
You are strongly encouraged to share the information contained in the AOEP Online Student Application Form with your family and loved ones (including the AOEP Student Handbook ), before submitting your application.
Deadline to submit applications
Programs are open until full. If a program is full, the AOEP Online Student Application Form for that program will be deactivated and you will no longer be able to apply. All spring and summer 2014 programs must recruit students before Friday March 7, 2014 at the latest.
Appalachian reserves the right to cancel or alter the program format or to change costs in case of conditions beyond the university's control.
Let us know how we are doing. Please leave us your feedback.