Deadlines and Application Link
Application is now closed in Appalnet.
Scholarships for students participating in study abroad programs range from $500 to $2000. Students will be considered for all of the scholarships for which they are eligible, however you are only eligible to receive one scholarship per academic year (August-July).
Applications open 30 days prior to the deadline. Application deadlines are as follows:
|Faculty-Led Program Starting||Application Deadline|
|Late Spring and Summer||March 15|
|Semester/Summer/Year Starting||Application Deadline|
|Summer and Fall||March 15|
|International Student Starting||Application Deadline|
See our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information, including disbursement and financial aid information.
External Scholarships: This information is posted as a courtesy. Appalachian State University and OIED in no way guarantee the available funding or receipt of such award. Review each scholarship or grant closely for requirements and eligibility.
- IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding- Searchable database of scholarships and grants for study abroad
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
- Fund for Education Abroad- Applications open November 16
- Department of State Critical Language Scholarship- Open now, deadline November 23, 2015 at 7:59 pm EST.
- Study Abroad Grants from the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi- Deadline Session A February 15, 2016
- Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship Program
- Thomas R. Pickering Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowship Program
- Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Fellowship Program
- The National Security Education Program (NSEP) David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
- U.S. Department of State's Fulbright Program
- Golden Key Study Abroad Scholarships
- Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan
Affiliate Scholarships- These only apply to programs done through the affiliate listed. These cannot apply to faculty-led programs or Appalachian Exchange programs.
Available OIED Scholarships
Adam P. Kephart Endowed Scholarship for International Programs
Established in 1994, the funds generated by the Adam P. Kephart Endowed Scholarship are directed to the highest and best use of "international" programs at Appalachian State University. Scholarships are provided to programs that offer the greatest potential for increasing international understanding.
Appalachian State University Study Abroad Scholarship
This fund was established by Appalachian State University to provide scholarship support for Appalachian students participating in approved long-term study abroad programs.
Go Abroad: International Appalachian Scholarship
Established in 2009 by members of International Appalachian (INTAPP), a student organization, this endowed fund supports Appalachian students of all majors traveling abroad to the country of their choice for the purpose of study, research, or internship.
- 2.5 GPA
- Preference for financial need
Kathryn “Katie” Stout Memorial Study Abroad Scholarship
Established in 2008 in memory of Kathryn "Katie" Stout, the purpose of this endowed fund is to provide financial assistance to Appalachian State University students who are enrolled in approved University study abroad programs, with preference given to students who are studying in China.
- Preference for travel to China
- One page essay explaining how study abroad opportunities will positively impact their Appalachian Educational Experience
Landon Hill Study Abroad Memorial Scholarship Fund
Established in 2011 in honor of Landon Hill, Appalachian student and active member of International Appalachian (INTAPP), the purpose of this fund is to provide financial assistance to Appalachian State University students interested in studying abroad who demonstrate a desire to increase understanding and tolerance of human diversity worldwide.
- Must demonstrate financial need
T. Marvin Williamsen Study Abroad Scholarship
Established in 2009 by the Office of International Education and Development in honor of Dr. T. Marvin Williamsen's tenure as the first Associate Vice Chancellor for International Programs at Appalachian, this scholarship provides support for Appalachian students participating in various education abroad programs.
Woodson-Horine Endowed International Scholarship
This endowment fund was established in 2001 to provide scholarship support for Appalachian students participating in approved international education programs and/or to support international degree-seeking students studying at Appalachian.
Let us know how we are doing. Please leave us your feedback.