The Office of International Education and Development (OIED) is pleased to announce the availability of scholarship funds for students participating in approved academic education abroad programs for Appalachian students. Many of these scholarships were created to honor the contributions or in memory of former faculty/staff, their families, students, and/or alumni to provide an enriching international experience to current Appalachian students.
- Who is eligible?
- Students participating in study abroad programs
Any full-time degree-seeking student at Appalachian who is applying to an approved study abroad program offering academic credit is eligible to apply. Students must have studied at Appalachian for at least one semester in their current degree program prior to applying for any scholarship. (The prior semester of study must have counted towards the current degree program's requirements.) Students must study at Appalachian for at least one term following the experience. Students must not have received any scholarship from OIED in the current academic year (August through July).
- International students
Any undergraduate degree-seeking student on a F-1 visa who has completed at least one academic year of studies at Appalachian is eligible to apply. Students must not have previously received an international student scholarship from Appalachian. Student must be in good standing, i.e. not on probation for academic and/or conduct reasons.
- How much is the scholarship worth?
Individual scholarship amounts will vary but will not exceed $2000.
- Do I have to be admitted to a program before I apply for a scholarship?
No. However, if you receive a scholarship before being admitted, you must apply to a program within four (4) weeks of receiving the scholarship. In all cases, program application deadlines still apply.
- May I apply for more than one scholarship?
Yes. You may apply for any scholarship that is open. However, you are only eligible to receive one scholarship per academic year.
- What are the criteria upon which applicants will be selected and what are the application deadlines?
Please reference specific scholarships for exact criteria and deadline information as they may vary.
- Awardee requirements
All scholarship recipients will be required to fulfill three requirements:
- Students must study at Appalachian for at least one term following the experience.
- Recipients will submit a Letter of Appreciation to the scholarship donor that may be posted on the Office of International Education and Development website.
- Students must demonstrate their commitment and willingness to assist in the promotion of international education by:
1. Being prepared to volunteer 3 service hours upon request/as needed by OIED, AND:
2. Submitting a 500-word essay about their study abroad experience addressing one of the prompts below.
Each essay submission must contain the following:
- Student Name
- Name and Term of Program Attended
- Prompt # Chosen
- Title of Essay
- Word Count
- Suggested but not Required: 1-3 pictures taken on the study abroad experience
#1: How did you study abroad experience help you gain a new perspective on your chosen field of study, and/or future professional life, and/or personal life? How do you plan to share/use your study abroad experience upon your return to campus?
#2: What valuable lessons did you learn while abroad? What advice/insights would you like to pass on to students considering a study abroad experience? How do you plan to share/use your study abroad experience upon your return to campus?
#3: How has your study abroad experience informed the way you view yourself as an American and/or as a global citizen? How do you plan to share/use your study abroad experience upon your return to campus?
#4: Based on your experience overseas, how do you think study abroad promotes mutual understanding with other countries and cultures? How do you plan to share/use your study abroad experience upon your return to campus?
#5: How did your experience overseas challenge your commitment to being a global citizen in the 21st century? How do you plan to share/use your study abroad experience upon your return to campus?
NOTE: All essays and photos submitted may be used/edited/published at the discretion of the Office of International Education and Development (OIED) for promotional and other purposes. All materials submitted become property of OIED. By submitting your essay and photos, you also permit OIED to use your name in conjunction with any media used to promote AOEPs. OIED has the sole right to determine the future use of essays and photos.
- When will I find out if I received a scholarship?
You will be notified of the outcome of your application by e-mail within 3 to 4 weeks of the scholarship application submission deadline.
- How will the scholarship funds be disbursed?
- For students studying abroad
The scholarship will be credited to your student account during the term in which you study abroad. Note: Receiving a scholarship could impact your financial aid.
- For international students
The scholarship will be credited to your student account during the semester in which it is awarded.
Appalachian State University funding opportunities at http://orsp.appstate.edu/find-funding/search-grant-programs/browse-funding-guides
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
- Department of State Critical Language Scholarship
- Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship Program
- Thomas R. Pickering Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowship Program
- CIA Undergraduate Internship Program
- CIA Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Fellowship Program
- UNCFSP Summer Internship Opportunities Program
- UNCFSP Institute for International Public Policy
- Internships International Institute for Indigenous Resource Management
- The National Security Education Program (NSEP) David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
- Robert B. Bailey Scholarship
- School for International Training (SIT) - College Semester Abroad Scholarships
- Cultural Experience Abroad (CEA) Academic Excellence Scholarship
- U.S. Department of State's Fulbright Program
- The Garden Club of America Summer Scholarships for Environmental Studies
- School of Field Studies (SFS) Environmental Field Studies Abroad - Andreas Family Fund Scholarships
- The Marion Wright Edelman Scholarship
- Vincent L. Hawkinson Foundation for Peace and Justice Scholarship
- The Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarships
- Camp Adventure Youth Services
- American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)
- Golden Key Study Abroad Scholarships
- Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan