Draft- Global Engagement Strategic Plan
The purpose of the Global Engagement Council (GEC) shall be to nurture and promote Appalachian State University’s (Appalachian) global engagement efforts by creating a smooth transition from the Quality Enhancement Plan for Global Learning to a Comprehensive Internationalization Plan for the University. The Council will do so by (1) initiating and developing policy recommendations concerning global engagement; (2) proposing and promoting curricula changes or enhancements with global emphases; (3) supporting and promoting varied education abroad experiences for students; (4) supporting and promoting faculty global research and creative endeavors; (5) supporting and promoting varied education abroad experiences and development for staff; (6) supporting international students, educators, visiting scholars, alumni, guests and friends of the University; and (7) engaging in other activities pertinent to the global character of Appalachian.
The Office of International Education and Development shall provide the necessary staffing and support for the Council and its committees.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Council shall be responsible for:
- Advising the Chancellor, Provost, Associate Vice Chancellor for International Education and Development, and the Appalachian community on matters relating to establishing a coherent and consistent role befitting a major comprehensive University in teaching, research, and service in the global arena;
- Advising the University community on the most appropriate and effective means for strengthening existing global engagement programs and activities on campus;
- Advising the University community on the most appropriate and effective means for planning and implementing appropriate new global programs;
- Identifying and promoting curricula and co-curricula global learning opportunities for Appalachian students;
- Formulating strategies to support faculty’s global engagement efforts, including research and international scholarly assignments for teaching;
- Identifying and promoting opportunities for development and international experiences for staff;
- Identifying ways to make the student experiences on campus more global in character and to stimulate student interest in global learning;
- Recommending broad institutional policies on global learning and other opportunities abroad;
- Advising the University community on the ongoing development and implementation of systems for effective recruitment of international students and scholars;
- Identifying opportunities and removing obstacles in all aspects of international education management (international student services, outreach efforts, and education abroad);
- Recommending revised or new policies as appropriate in any area of the University to strengthen Appalachian’s global character;
- Developing and regularly refreshing the University-wide Global Engagement Strategic Plan.