Federal regulations require international students to check-in with International Student and Scholar Services and Outreach (ISSSO) when they arrive. During this process we verify your physical presence and register you as an active student in the SEVIS database. This process takes place each semester during international student orientation. Failure to register with ISSSO when you arrive is a violation of your visa category and has serious consequences. Below you will find details about our next international student orientation and information about everything you need to know to prepare for your trip to the U.S.
New International Students will complete online orientation assignments in AsULearn-Projects in July 2023.
There will be two Zoom orientation sessions on Thursday, August 3, 2023 and Friday, August 4, 2023.
International Student Orientation - Fall 2023
International Student and Scholar Services and Outreach (ISSSO) will provide free airport pickup on Sunday, August 13, 2023 from Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) for students staying at the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel and Suites. You will then spend the night of August 13 at the hotel and travel to Boone the next morning. You must make a reservation at the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel and Suites on your own. Appalachian will not make the reservation for you.
International Student Orientation is mandatory and will take place on-campus from Monday, August 14 through Wednesday, August 16, 2023. Information about airport pick up, orientation, and how to make hotel reservations can be found in the New Student Arrival Plan.
Traveling to Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Federal regulations prevent F-1 and J-1 students from entering the United States more than 30 days prior to the Program Start Date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. J-1 students must depart the US no more than 30 days after the Program End Date.
- If you are an exchange student staying one semester the earliest you may legally enter the U.S. is July 15, 2023 and you must leave the U.S. by January 13, 2024. The final day to move out of the residence halls will be Thursday, December 14, 2023.
- If you are an exchange student staying for two semesters the earliest you may legally enter the U.S. is July 15, 2023 and you must leave the U.S. by June 9, 2024. The final day to move out of the residence halls will be May 10, 2024.
- Students who are enrolling at Appalachian this August 2023 to complete a degree on a F-1 visa may enter the U.S. as early as July 15, 2023.
Please plan your travel accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to attend every session of orientation?
YES, you must attend every session! It is important, so you are familiar with the campus and all of the resources available to help you succeed during your time at Appalachian.
- Does it cost anything to attend orientation?
NO, it is completely free. All you have to do is show up.
- Do I need to bring anything to orientation?
It may be a good idea to bring some paper and a pen to take notes, however, it is not required.
- What if I can't make it on the airport pick up day?
If you are unable to get a flight to Charlotte, NC on the airport pick up day, you will need to find your own form of transportation to Boone, NC. We will not be able to pick you up any other day.
Arrival and Orientation Schedule
Sunday, August 13, 2023 - Airport pick up from CLT and stay overnight in hotel
Monday, August 14, 2023 - Travel to Boone via free bus and begin International Student Orientation
Monday, August 14 through Wednesday, August 16, 2023 - Required in-person orientation activities
Monday, August 21, 2023- First day of classes