Federal regulations require international students to check-in with International Student and Scholar Services and Outreach (ISSSO) when they arrive. During this process we verify your physical presence and register you as an active student in the SEVIS database. This process takes place each semester during international student orientation. Failure to register with ISSSO when you arrive is a violation of your visa category and has serious consequences. Below you will find details about our next international student orientation and information about everything you need to know to prepare for your trip to the U.S.
International Student Orientation - Fall 2021
International Student Orientation is mandatory and will take place from 12:00 PM on Monday, August 9 through Wednesday, August 11, 2021. We will provide free airport pickup on Sunday, August 8 from Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) for students staying at the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel and Suites. You will then spend the night of the August 8 at the hotel and travel to Boone the next morning at 8:00 AM. You must make a reservation at the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel and Suites on your own. Appalachian will not make the reservation for you. Information about how to make the reservation will be emailed to you.
IMPORTANT: If you are not at the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel and Suites by 8:00 AM on Monday, August 9 it is your responsiblity to be in Boone by 12:00 PM that day for the start of international student orientation.
Traveling to Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Federal regulations prevent you from entering the United States more than 30 days prior to the Program Start Date listed on your DS-2019 and remaining for more than 30 days after the Program End Date.
- If you are an exchange student staying one semester the earliest you may legally enter the U.S. is July 10, 2021 and you must leave the U.S. by January 8, 2022. The final day to move out of the residence halls will be December 9, 2021.
- If you are an exchange student staying for two semesters the earliest you may legally enter the U.S. is July 10, 2021 and you must leave the U.S. by June 4, 2022. The final day to move out of the residence halls will be May 6, 2022.
- Students who are enrolling at Appalachian this August 2021 to complete a degree on a F-1 visa may enter the U.S. as early as July 10, 2021.
Please plan your travel accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to attend every session of orientation?
YES, you must attend every session! It is important, so you are familiar with the campus and all of the resources available to help you succeed during your time at Appalachian.
- Does it cost anything to attend orientation?
NO, it is completely free. All you have to do is show up.
- Do I need to bring anything to orientation?
It may be a good idea to bring some paper and a pen to take notes, however, it is not required.
- What if I can't make it on the airport pick up day?
If you are unable to get a flight to Charlotte, NC on the airport pick up day, you will need to find your own form of transportation to Boone, NC. We will not be able to pick you up any other day.