Federal regulations require international students to check-in with International Student and Scholar Services and Outreach (ISSSO) when they arrive. During this process we verify your physical presence and register you as an active student in the SEVIS database. This process takes place each semester during international student orientation. Failure to register with ISSSO when you arrive is a violation of your visa category and has serious consequences. Below you will find details about our next international student orientation and information about everything you need to know to prepare for your trip to the U.S.
International Student Orientation - Spring 2019
International Student Orientation is mandatory and will take place from 12:00 PM on Wednesday, January 9 through Friday, January 11. We will provide free airport pickup on Tuesday, January 8 from Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) for students staying at the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel and Suites. You will then spend the night of the January 8 at the hotel and travel to Boone the next morning at 8:00 AM. You must make a reservation at the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel and Suites on your own. Appalachian will not make the reservation for you. Information about how to make the reservation will be emailed to you.
IMPORTANT: If you are not at the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel and Suites by 8:00 AM on Wednesday, January 9 it is your responsiblity to be in Boone by 12:00 PM that day for the start of international student orientation.
Click here to view the International Student Orientation Schedule - Spring 2019!
Traveling to Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Federal regulations prevent you from entering the United States more than 30 days prior to the Program Start Date listed on your DS-2019 and remaining for more than 30 days after the Program End Date.
- If you are an exchange student staying one semester the earliest you may legally enter the U.S. is December 10, 2018 and you must leave the U.S. by June 10, 2019. The final day to move out of the residence halls will be May 10, 2019.
- If you are an exchange student staying for two semesters the earliest you may legally enter the U.S. is December 10, 2018 and you must leave the U.S. by January 13, 2020. The final day to move out of the residence halls will be December 13, 2019.
- Students who are enrolling at Appalachian this January 2019 to complete a degree on a F-1 visa may enter the U.S. as early as December 10, 2018.
Please plan your travel accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to attend every session of orientation?
YES, you must attend every session! It is important, so you are familiar with the campus and all of the resources available to help you succeed during your time at Appalachian.
- Does it cost anything to attend orientation?
NO, it is completely free. All you have to do is show up.
- Do I need to bring anything to orientation?
It may be a good idea to bring some paper and a pen to take notes, however, it is not required.
- What if I can't make it on the airport pick up day?
If you are unable to get a flight to Charlotte, NC on the airport pick up day, you will need to find your own form of transportation to Boone, NC. We will not be able to pick you up any other day.