Federal regulations require international students to check-in with International Student and Scholar Services and Outreach (ISSSO) when they arrive. During this process we verify your physical presence and register you as an active student in the SEVIS database. This process takes place each semester during international student orientation. Failure to register with ISSSO when you arrive is a violation of your visa category and has serious consequences. Below you will find details about our next international student orientation and information about everything you need to know to prepare for your trip to the U.S.
International Student Orientation - Fall 2022
International Student and Scholar Services and Outreach (ISSSO) will provide free airport pickup on Sunday, August 14, 2022 from Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) for students staying at the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel and Suites. You will then spend the night of August 14 at the hotel and travel to Boone the next morning. You must make a reservation at the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel and Suites on your own. Appalachian will not make the reservation for you.
International Student Orientation is mandatory and will take place on-campus from Monday, August 15 through Wednesday, August 17, 2022. Information about airport pick up, orientation, and how to make hotel reservations can be found in the New Student Arrival Plan.
Traveling to Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Federal regulations prevent F-1 and J-1 students from entering the United States more than 30 days prior to the Program Start Date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. J-1 students must depart the US no more than 30 days after the Program End Date.
- If you are an exchange student staying one semester the earliest you may legally enter the U.S. is July 16, 2022 and you must leave the U.S. by January 16, 2023. The final day to move out of the residence halls will be December 15, 2022.
- If you are an exchange student staying for two semesters the earliest you may legally enter the U.S. is July 16, 2022 and you must leave the U.S. by June 12, 2023. The final day to move out of the residence halls will be May 12, 2023.
- Students who are enrolling at Appalachian this August 2022 to complete a degree on a F-1 visa may enter the U.S. as early as July 16, 2022.
Please plan your travel accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to attend every session of orientation?
YES, you must attend every session! It is important, so you are familiar with the campus and all of the resources available to help you succeed during your time at Appalachian.
- Does it cost anything to attend orientation?
NO, it is completely free. All you have to do is show up.
- Do I need to bring anything to orientation?
It may be a good idea to bring some paper and a pen to take notes, however, it is not required.
- What if I can't make it on the airport pick up day?
If you are unable to get a flight to Charlotte, NC on the airport pick up day, you will need to find your own form of transportation to Boone, NC. We will not be able to pick you up any other day.
Arrival and Orientation Schedule
Sunday, August 14 - Airport pick up from CLT and stay overnight in hotel
Monday, August 15 - Travel to Boone via free bus and begin International Student Orientation
Monday, August 15 to Wednesday, August 17 - Required online and in-person orientation activities
Monday, August 22 - First day of classes