Prospective International Students

All students who are interested in being a student at Appalachian State University must apply through either the Office of Admissions (undergraduate) or the Cratis D. Williams School of Graduate Studies.

International Student and Scholar Services and Outreach serves an advocate for you and as a liaison between the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) and all international students at Appalachian. We offer immigration advice and counseling, but it is your responsibility to maintain legal status while at Appalachian.

Degree Seeking Students

Before you can be issued a form I-20 or DS-2019 to apply for your student visa, you must first be admitted Appalachian State University. Students wishing to apply as an undergraduate should apply to the Office of Admissions. For information and to apply, visit their website.

Students wishing to apply to a graduate program should apply to the Cratis D. Williams School of Graduate Studies.  A list of graduate programs and instructions on how to apply can be found on their website.

Once you have been admitted to Appalachian State University, our office will work with you to collect the necessary documents to issue your Form I-20 or DS-2019 which you will use to apply for your F-1 or J-1 Visa.

Exchange Students

If your institution has a formal exchange agreement with Appalachian State University, you will be admitted as a non-degree exchange student. Please visit  the International Partners page for more information and list of our partners. If your institution is a partner, please visit your  institution's study abroad or international office to learn about how you can study at Appalachian. 

Transferring from another U.S. institution

Transferring to a new school in the U.S. requires a lot of advanced planning. A student may legally stay in the U.S. for the time between finishing classes at one school and starting at another school if the proper immigration process is followed. This process requires the old U.S. school to "release" the student's SEVIS (Student & Exchange Visitor Information System) immigration record to Appalachian, so that we may issue a new "transfer-in" I-20 or DS-2019 form. If you have already been admitted to Appalachian and would like to more information about how to transfer your SEVIS record to Appalachian, click here: (Coming Soon)


Appalachian State University’s English Language Studies Institute - AppELS Students

Students who wish to study at Appalachian State University to improve their English language skills can do so through AppELS Institute. AppELS Institute is passionate about helping students achieve their academic goals while giving them the unique opportunity to experience life as a Mountaineer. Whether it is for an undergraduate or graduate program, AppELS Institute provides the very best academic start to studies in the US.

AppELS Institute has both in-person courses on the Appalachian State University campus and online courses available worldwide. Course information, dates and cost can be found on the website. Form I-20s will be issued to students upon completion of the AppELS Institute admission application, which can also be found on the website