Planning to Apply for Fulbright
- Plan 1-2 years in advance of intended departure
- Talk with your department chair, dean, past Appalachian State Fulbrighters, and one of the App State Fulbright liaisons.
- Explore by attending Fulbright information workshops/sessions (held once a semester) at Appalachian State.
- Enlist coaching from Office of Research to support your application.
- Work with the Office of Research and your chair to calculate an agreed upon budget.
- Apply by the relevant deadline. Refer to Timeline for more information.
Types of Fulbright Awards
Core Fulbright grant awards are typically for lecturing and research on a topic of expertise. Some are for research only
Length: 4-9 months
Application deadline: August 1
This program provides short-term academic opportunities to collaborate with host institutions.
Length: 2-6 weeks
Application deadline: ongoing
Reap the benefits of comparative education by visiting another country to learn about its system of higher education.
Length: 2 weeks
India - October 1
Japan and South Korea - November 1
United Kingdom, France and Germany - February 1
Application Timeline and Deadlines
- February 1: Fulbright Applications open (Fulbright website)
- April 30: Internal Application deadline to Office of Research for peer review (highly recommended but optional support service to faculty)
- July 15: Deadline to fill out and upload your application into the AGrants internal routing system, via the Office of Research
- August 1: Application deadline to Fulbright