Eligibility for Permanent Residency
Appalachian State University is committed to providing permanent residence, “Green Card,” sponsorship to eligible and qualifying employees. For more information about eligibility please consult our official policy.
Advertising Eligible Positions
Permanent residency sponsorship at Appalachian is conducted utilizing PERM Special Handling Labor Certification. In order for a position to qualify for permanent residency through Special Handling it is important that the position be advertised in manner that qualifies the position for Special Handling. For more information please refer to the following document.
Document Retention Following Candidate Selection
If your search results in the selection of a non-resident alien you will be asked to provide the following documents to OIED during first semester of your faculty member’s employment:
- An original advertisement from a national, professional journal including the first and last day of publication.
- Evidence of any additional recruitment undertaking including the dates and names of the journals and websites where the position was posted.
- Photocopies of all applicants’ resumes/curriculum vitae as well as any and all correspondence from the applicants and from the search committee to those applicants. Please provide this information on a flash drive.
- Copy of the selected faculty member’s CV along with any copies of certifications or degrees that were stipulated as a requirement in the recruitment. The faculty member will be required to provide certified translations if degrees and certifications are not in English.
- The applicant flow form from the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Compliance.
In addition to these documents, OIED will provide your department chair with several other documents that will need to be completed once the decision to sponsor the employee for permanent residency has been approved by the dean of your college. Please contact Adam Julian in OIED at firstname.lastname@example.org or 2811 if you have questions or need assistance.