Check back throughout the year as various positions are hired at different parts of the academic year.
Grant Assistant for Mandela Washington Fellowship
Applications will be reviewed as they are recieved. Applications will close February 1, 2022 or when we have hired all 5 positions.
About the Mandela Washington Fellowship
The Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders is the flagship program of the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). Since 2014, the program has empowered young Africa leaders through academic coursework, leadership training, and networking. Appalachian State University previously hosted in-person cohorts from 2016 to 2019 and a virtual cohort in 2020.
In summer 2022, App State will welcome outstanding young leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa to our campus for 6 weeks, helping them hone their leadership skills in Civic Engagement. We are looking for five junior staff members to join our team!
About this position
- Grant Assistant - 5 positions available
- 6 weeks -June 8, 2021 to July 17, 2021 (with the possibility of extending to August 6)
- 8 hours per week - $15 per hour - up to $720
- Application Required. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
- Open to all undergraduate and graduate students.
The Mandela Washington Fellowship Grant Assistant will
- Help with transporting Fellows, including becoming trained and driving 12-passenger vans
- Attend cultural events in the community with Fellows, including Horn in the West, 4th July events, Jones House Music Jam, etc.
- Interact with Fellows and make them feel welcome
- Publishing stories and digital journals about this project
- Assisting with program logistics
- Managing digital archiving
- Other duties as assigned
- Up to $720 (8 hours per week for 6 weeks at $15 per hour)
- Professional development in:
- Program logistics
- Digital Journalism and storytelling
- Office setting / professional comportment
- Communication and networking
- Intercultural competencies
- Mentoring by program staff
- Project management experience
- Customer service experience
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- NC Drivers license with clean driving record
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically PowerPoint and Word
- Proficient in Google Suite, specifically G-mail, Calendar, Docs, and Sharing
- Capable of working independently
- Experience with graphic design software
- Video production and editing experience
2022-2023 Education Abroad Peer Advisors
Education Abroad Peer Advisors (PAs) are paid positions within the Office of International Education and Development, specifically working with the Education Abroad unit to promote education abroad opportunities across campus. PAs will work with academic departments, campus organizations, student groups and other partners across campus as necessary. PAs are alumni of the study abroad affiliate programs that are sponsoring the positions.
- Punctual, reliable, and organized
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable working with diverse groups
- Willing to learn new technologies and applications
- Able to commit to 10 hours per week
- Able to commit to working in this position for a full academic year
- Conduct Study Abroad 101 sessions
- Facilitate Education Abroad Drop-In Hours
- Enhance the Education Abroad Advising process
- Conduct classroom presentations, manage tabling opportunities, and otherwise represent Education Abroad on campus
- Assist with the Education Abroad Fair in the fall semester
- Assist with pre-departure orientations each semester
- Assist with incoming exchange student projects
- Complete affiliate-assigned projects
- Complete special projects, as assigned
- Meet on a regular basis with direct supervisor for feedback and assignments.
- Meet on a semester basis with the sponsoring affiliate for feedback and assignments.
- As necessary, meet with OIED staff members.
Career Readiness Skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Oral and written communication
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Digital technology
- Professionalism and a strong work ethic
- Career management
- Global and intercultural fluency
If your study abroad program is a sponsoring entity, we will contact you with application instructions. For questions, please contact email@example.com.