Students select programs based upon many factors: location, program structure, cost, housing, duration, etc. As some students have specific course requirements that they need to fulfill while abroad academic offerings can often play an important role in program selection. Listed below are some considerations for each major as well as a list of program suggestions. Students may choose to participate on other programs but this is a good place to start.
Education Abroad Office
The first step that every student should take is attending a Study Abroad 101 session. These are available in person or online. After completing the 101 session students are encouraged to meet with an Advisor. This can either be done by scheduling an individual appointment or by attending our walk-in hours on Wednesday.
- When meeting with an advisor students should have done some initial program research and thought about the type of program they are looking for. Some questions to think about and discuss during your advising appointment are:
- What are the eligibility requirements for my program(s) or interest?
- What is involved in the application for my program(s) of interest? Is admission to the program competitive?
- What courses are available on my program? How can I get courses approved for my program(s) of interest?
- What is the cost of participating in my program(s) of interest? What do I need to consider in preparing an estimated budget for my program(s) of interest, and what expenses do I need to plan for up front?
- Where can I find more information about scholarships for study abroad?
Studying abroad is an investment in your future. Like any other type of investment, it requires careful planning and management. Students should fully understand the cost of their program, how financial aid works, and what scholarships and other funding options are available. To assist with this students should look over our Funding web pages as well as watch the how-to videos.
We encourage you to speak to a Financial Aid Counselor, who can help you figure out how your financial aid might be applied to your study abroad program. Be sure to seek answers to the following questions from a Financial Aid Counselor:
- How do loans work for study abroad? What kinds of aid/loans do I currently receive, and are there any restrictions on this aid if I study abroad?
- Have I reached the maximum of (insert name of) loan allowed per academic year?
- When will funds be released for my semester of participation?
- How will additional scholarships impact my ASU financial aid?