Tax Filing Information

All international students and scholars in F-1 or J-1 status must file tax documents by April 15 if they were present in the United State during the previous year.

  • If you are an international student or scholar who was employed in the US or received a scholarship last year, you MUST file a tax return

  • If you are an international students or scholar who was NOT employed in the US and did NOT receive a US scholarship, you must file Tax Form 8843  only

Tax Assistance

Two students opening wide to eat a giant sub sandwichISSSO organizes tax assistance sessions to assist international students and scholars in filing their tax returns each year.   TIMELINE:

  • February: international students and scholars will receive an email from with instructions to sign up for tax assistance
  • March:  international students and scholars attend free tax assistance sessions led by VITA volunteers, either in-person or virtually
  • April:  the federal deadline for filing tax returns will be in mid-April each year

International students and scholars should not file taxes with common tax assistance services or software (e.g. H&R Block, TurboTax) as these are not always equipped to accurately file tax returns for F-1 or J-1 visa holders.  

View our Frequently Asked Questions for International Student and Scholar Taxes.