Apply for a Visa

Apply for a Visa

All new incoming F-1 and J-1 international students and scholars must apply for a student visa to enter the US.
Students and scholars may not use a B visa to study or work in the US

  1. Be admitted to the University.
  2. Get your DS-2019 (J-1) or I-20 (F-1) from ISSSO.
  3. Go to F-1 Student visa page or J-1 Student visa page to learn how to set up a visa appointment. 
  4. Pay the SEVIS fee.
  5. Go to the visa appointment. students at a basketball game with varied expressions
  6. Come to the US up to 30 days before your program start date. 


Helpful links on getting the visa process started:

Returning international students and scholars must renew their visa at a US embassy or consulate outside the US ONLY IF

  • They have plans to travel out the US AND
  • The visa in their passport will expire before returning to the US 


Contact if you have questions about your student visa status.